You've assembled your new bin and are now ready to compost. Below we will provide a 3-minute tutorial to setting up your new bin.
A Step By Step Guide
Find a shady spot
- Choose a sheltered, full all-day shade spot for the Hungry Bin
- The ideal temperature is between 60-85°F (15-25°C). Avoid temperature extremes, prolonged conditions over 90-95°F (32°C) may kill the worms.
- The bin can be kept on a balcony, garage or in a basement if you don’t have a yard.
- If the bin is outdoors in winter, make sure it is not subjected to freezing conditions for extended periods of time.
Fill your bin
- Place bedding material into the Hungry Bin (Fully composted soil or Coconut Coir).
- Add at least 80 Litres (98 US dry quarts) of bedding into the bin (3/4 Full).
- Bedding material is roughly the equivalent of two medium bags of compost soil mix.
- Moisten bedding until it is as wet as a wrung-out sponge.
Add your worms
- Start with a minimum of 1 lb. (1000 worms) to start your bin.
- The more worms you start with the faster the bin will reach maximum efficiency, consider 2 lb. (2000 worms) to start your bin.
- Add worms to the surface of the bedding and cover with approximately 3/4 inch (20mm) of food scraps (preferably finely chopped).
- A full population is approximately 16,000 worms, or 6.5 lbs. of adult worms.
Set Up In 3 Minutes
In just 3 minutes, our comprehensive set up video guides you through the 3 simple steps to setting up your new Hungry Bin. Say goodbye to traditional composting hassles and embrace a cleaner, greener lifestyle.
Learn more about the Hungry Bin
Composting is not just about turning kitchen scraps into nutrient-rich soil; it's also about tapping into the liquid gold that your Hungry Bin produces. A well-fed and thriving bin can yield appro...
Your Hungry Bin is not just a composting system; it's a living ecosystem that, when treated right, can operate at peak efficiency, transforming your kitchen scraps into nutrient-rich worm castings...
Compost worms, nature's recyclers, thrive on a balanced diet. To ensure optimal performance from your Hungry Bin and the well-being of its resident compost worms, it's crucial to understand what t...